Patrick, Johnson crash early at Daytona
Florida: Five-times NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson and debutant Danica Patrick were involved in a five-car crash on the second lap of the Daytona 500 on Monday that put an end to their chances of glory.
The NASCAR season opener, which was postponed from Sunday due to rain, was delayed a further seven hours on Monday but when it finally got going under the lights there was instant drama.
The accident happened when Elliott Sadler pushed into the back of Johnson, who spun around with chaotic results in the tightly-packed field.
Patrick, just the third woman to compete in the `Great American Race`, was caught in the backwash. She returned to the garage to repair the damage after her third crash of the week and returned in lap 66.
Although she is not running a full schedule in the Sprint Cup and so points are of little importance, Patrick clearly wanted to gain some more experience in a top NASCAR race after switching full-time from IndyCar racing this season.
Johnson, who won the 500 in 2006, was unable to get back on the track and was left frustrated on the sidelines.
"I`m just really, really bummed to start the season this way," Johnson said.
"For all the hard work that has gone into getting this car ready for tonight, we didn`t get to complete two and a half miles of green flag racing."
Last year`s winner Trevor Bayne, Kurt Busch and David Ragan also went off the track.
"It is ridiculous to sit around this long for the Daytona and on the very first lap for someone to be driving as reckless as whoever caused that, someone had to cause it," said Ragan.
"It is just a shame for it to be that early in the biggest race...I can`t wait to see who was the bonehead that did that."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win