Paris: The Lotus Renault GP Formula One team have confirmed that Russian Vitaly Petrov will be their second driver for the 2011 season alongside Pole Robert Kubica.
Petrov became the first Russian to compete in Formula One last season when he competed for Renault before Group Lotus plc acquired a major equity stake in the French team which had been experiencing financial difficulties.
Kubica was told he would keep his slot as top driver, but it took longer to confirm Petrov who finished the 2010 season in 13th place in the driver’s championship with just 27 points.
“We are delighted to have Vitaly with us for two more years,” a Lotus Renault GP statement said on Wednesday.
“Last year he clearly showed on several occasions that he has the potential to achieve great things. It’s just a case of putting it all together each weekend, at each race and that will be his priority for 2011.”
“Thanks to Vitaly and the team, Russia is opening up to Formula One.”
Petrov said that he had learned much in the last year.
“I am eager to continue working with this team and I am sure I can live up to the expectations they have of me.”