Petrov`s F1 career in danger

Last Updated: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 16:09

Moscow: Vitaly Petrov`s career as Russia`s only Formula One driver hangs in balance after the Russian government cut off financial support, his manager Oksana Kosachenko said.

Petrov became the first Russian in F1 when he joined Renault in 2010. He now drives for Caterham, where his sponsors include government owned Russian Helicopters while an earlier sponsor was the state-run Lada car maker.

"We have now lost government support," Kosachenko said Thursday.

"There`s never been interest from sponsors. I`ve always said that it`s impossible to find sponsors in Russia for a project like Formula One. When there was support at the top level of government, this project worked commendably."

Petrov has private sector sponsorship from Russian chemical company Sibur.

The resulting cash crisis could end Petrov`s F1 career, Kosachenko suggested.

"I don`t rule out a scenario in which we have to end this Russian driver`s competition in Formula One," she said.

Despite the lack of Russian backing, talks on finding Petrov a seat for next year were otherwise progressing well, she added.

Kosachenko said that she was talking to Caterham and three other teams about a place for Petrov next season.

Petrov achieved the only podium finish of his career when he finished third at the Australian Grand Prix last year for Lotus Renault.

Petrov joined Caterham shortly before this season began, displacing veteran Italian Jarno Trulli and has recorded the team`s best result of the season with 13th in Valencia in june.

IANS



First Published: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 16:09

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus