Piquet Jr. to make stock car debut at Daytona
New York: Brazilian driver Nelson Piquet Jr., who was at the center of a major Formula One scandal last year, will make his stock car debut next month at the Daytona International Speedway, he said.
Piquet Jr., son of three-times Formula One world champion driver Nelson Piquet, will make his debut in a 200-mile race which will also be the first stock car event for Danica Patrick, the only woman to win an IndyCar event.
Piquet Jr. will drive the No. 6 Toyota car fielded by Eddie Sharp Racing on Feb. 6 in the Automobile Racing Club of America event. ARCA is a minor league with NASCAR-type cars.
"I`m very excited. I can`t wait to reach 200 mph side-by-side and rubbing paint," Piquet said in a statement. "The plans for the season are coming together really well ... I can`t wait to get out on track."
The 24-year-old Brazilian triggered one of Formula One`s biggest scandals last year after being dropped by his Renault team when he told the sport`s governing body he had crashed deliberately in the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix to help team mate Fernando Alonso win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?