Piquet Jr. to make stock car debut at Daytona
New York: Brazilian driver Nelson Piquet Jr., who was at the center of a major Formula One scandal last year, will make his stock car debut next month at the Daytona International Speedway, he said.
Piquet Jr., son of three-times Formula One world champion driver Nelson Piquet, will make his debut in a 200-mile race which will also be the first stock car event for Danica Patrick, the only woman to win an IndyCar event.
Piquet Jr. will drive the No. 6 Toyota car fielded by Eddie Sharp Racing on Feb. 6 in the Automobile Racing Club of America event. ARCA is a minor league with NASCAR-type cars.
"I`m very excited. I can`t wait to reach 200 mph side-by-side and rubbing paint," Piquet said in a statement. "The plans for the season are coming together really well ... I can`t wait to get out on track."
The 24-year-old Brazilian triggered one of Formula One`s biggest scandals last year after being dropped by his Renault team when he told the sport`s governing body he had crashed deliberately in the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix to help team mate Fernando Alonso win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka