Pirelli say debris may have caused Vettel puncture
London: Pirelli have ruled out a structural failure of their tyre as the cause of Sebastian Vettel`s sudden puncture at last weekend`s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
The Italian company, Formula one`s sole tyre provider, suggested in a statement on Wednesday that debris on the track could be to blame for the double world champion`s first race retirement in more than a year.
"Having subjected the tyre to minute analysis, structural failure of the tyre or valve has been ruled out as a cause of the incident. Track debris or other outside circumstances cannot be excluded as a possible cause," it said.
Motorsport director Paul Hembery added, however, that a close inspection of the track had provided no direct evidence to support the debris theory.
Pirelli said the right rear tyre was part of a set of softs that the Red Bull driver had used on the day before to take a record-equalling 14th pole of the season.
The tyre was largely shredded as Vettel nursed his car back to the pits after the puncture in the opening seconds of the first lap.
The damage caused by the flailing rubber, and the car running on a rim, forced Vettel to retire in the pits.
The race was won by McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton, while the puncture ended Vettel`s hopes of equalling Michael Schumacher`s record of 13 wins in a single season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?