Probe could force Renault out, fears Ecclestone
London: Allegations about race-fixing at last year`s Singapore Grand Prix could prompt Renault to walk away from Formula One, the sport`s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone warned.
"This is not the sort of thing we need at the moment," the 78-year-old Briton told reporters.
"I think it will p*** off Renault for a start. Them leaving the sport is a danger, obviously. I mean, I hope that it isn`t like that, but it`s the sort of thing that might happen."
Honda quit Formula One in December due to the global financial crisis while BMW have announced they are leaving at the end of the season.
The governing International Automobile Federation said at the Belgian Grand Prix on Sunday that they were investigating "alleged incidents" at an unnamed previous race.
The FIA gave no details about the incidents and did not say who had made the allegations.
However media reports originating in Brazil said the focus was on the sport`s first night race staged in Singapore last September.
Double world champion Fernando Alonso won that race, his first in more than a year and from 15th place on the starting grid, after Brazilian team mate Nelson Piquet crashed and brought out the safety car.
Alonso had just refuelled at that point, a lucky break for the Spaniard who was able to come through and lead to the finish.
Renault, whose team boss Flavio Briatore co-owns English soccer club Queen`s Park Rangers with Ecclestone, have made no comment on allegations that Piquet might have crashed deliberately to help his team mate.
"All I know is that Flavio is insisting that he knows nothing about it," Ecclestone said, adding that the Italian was "well and truly upset."
"I think the FIA are looking into everything. They are trying to find out the reality. I suppose they would be upset if they found out that what people are assuming is true, is in fact true," he added.
"The only way you could say there is a case to answer is if there is any real evidence."
Alonso has not commented on the reports and neither has Piquet, whose father and namesake was a triple champion and won the title for Ecclestone`s Brabham team in 1981 and 1983.
Renault replaced Piquet junior in August after he failed to score a point in 10 races, a parting that triggered an angry reaction from the driver who accused Briatore of being his "executioner."
"If it`s just young Piquet saying this because he wants to say it, that`s one thing. If, on the other hand, there`s some reality to it, then it`s all different," said Ecclestone.
"It will be difficult to prove. If there is something on the radio that said, "Er, Nelson, you`d better crash now,` then what the hell can they (Renault) do? It depends exactly what comes out of the investigation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27