Qualifying race will be key to success: Hamilton, Button
Greater Noida: McLaren Mercedes might not have the best of the free practice sessions today, but its drivers -- Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button -- have already set their sights on tomorrow and said a good qualifying race will be key to the team`s success in Sunday`s race.
Both Button (1:27.182) and Hamilton (1:27.131) improved their FP1 timing in the afternoon but still the two McLaren Mercedes cars could only set the sixth and seventh fastest timings of the day.
Defending champion Sebastian Vettel emerged as the fastest driver in both the practice sessions with teammate Mark Webber finishing a close second, as Red Bull put up an impressive show in the free practice sessions.
Ferrari`s Fernando Alonso was third quickest.
However, Hamilton sounded optimistic and said with little bit of improvement, the two McLaren Mercedes cars can match the likes of Red Bull and Ferrari at the second edition of the Indian Grand Prix.
"It was not a positive day on my side, I wasn`t quick enough. It is looking quite good for Lotus and Red Bull. Our race pace is not that bad, but could have been better," Hamilton said.
"Red Bull was just too quick. Red Bull is very hard to beat. Ferrari, Red Bull and Lotus are very quick in long runs but I think we are right there with them. The qualifying will be key. So it is going to be a very close race," said the Briton, who is presently fourth in the driver`s standing.
Button agreed with his teammate and summed up his practice sessions today as "tricky".
"It was tricky for me because we had a gear shift problem. I have really enjoyed here but it`s been tricky today. Hopefully we can improve in the days to come," Button said.
"We both (me and Hamilton) struggled. I just felt we didn`t have a lot of grip but I think we are still lot closer.
"The qualifying is always important. Qualifying is probably the more difficult race. So we want to qualify well here," he signed off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt