‘Rattled and worried’ crew forces Force India to almost pull out of Bahrain Grand Prix
Manama: As thousands of protesters thronged the Bahrain Grand Prix, the Force India team came close to withdrawing itself from the mega event scheduled for Sunday.
The team’s bosses reportedly fought a desperate battle with rattled, annoyed and worried crew, who were ready to return to Britain, claiming the ‘move was a compromise’. Earlier the Northamptonshire team sat out of the second practice run for the race, citing safety concerns after their brush with petrol bombers on Wednesday.
According to the Daily Mirror, the team’s refusal to take to the circuit resulted in a confrontation between F1 ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone and Force India team boss Robert Fernley. Matters took a worse turn when the Force India cars opted to remain absent from TV coverage ¬linked to Ecclestone’s Formula 1 Management company.
Ecclestone denied there was some sort of ‘vendetta’ against the team, and rather claimed that the reason could have technical or the probably the whiskey brands advertised on the car’s body, which happen to be illegal as Bahrain prohibits the advertising of hard liquor being a dry country.
Following Ecclestone’s comments, McLaren removed the ad of Johnnie ¬Walker and Sauber ¬removed Tequila ¬sponsor Cuervo from its car. Reports said the state of Force India is ‘fragile and emotional’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow