Redding passed fit for Japan Moto2 race
Suzuka: Injured Moto2 rider Scott Redding is refusing to give up hope of becoming Britain`s first grand prix motorcycling world champion since Barry Sheene 36 years ago after being passed fit to race in Japan on Sunday.
Redding dropped to second in the standings, 16 points adrift of Pol Espargaro, after fracturing his left wrist in qualifying in Australia last week and being unable to ride in the race, which was won by his Spanish rival.
The Briton, who is graduating to MotoGP next season with Gresini Honda, underwent surgery in Melbourne at the weekend with a plate and six screws inserted.
After four days of rehabilitation, the 20-year-old passed a medical at the Motegi circuit on Thursday and declared himself back in the fight.
"There was no way I was going home after Australia, not when there was even an outside chance I could ride in Japan," Redding said in a team statement. "Even after the surgery on Sunday morning I knew I was going to Japan to try and ride.
"As the medical staff here at Motegi have now confirmed I`m fit to ride. I have to undergo another assessment after the two free practice sessions tomorrow, but I`ll know straight away whether it`s possible to race," he added.
"If I`m fit to race then the goal has to be to ensure the championship battle goes down to the final round in Valencia, for which I`ll have had more recovery time."
Japan is the penultimate round of the season and Espargaro, who is also moving up to MotoGP next season with Tech3 Yamaha, can clinch the Moto2 title if results go his way.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India