Renault encouraged by Senna debut
Brussels: Renault are backing Bruno Senna to score points after the Brazilian`s roller-coaster debut for the Formula One team in Belgium at the weekend.
Senna, nephew of the late triple champion Ayrton, qualified an impressive seventh at Spa-Francorchamps but then made a mess of the start and was handed a drive-through penalty for causing a first corner collision.
He ended up in 13th place at the finish while Russian team mate Vitaly Petrov was ninth.
"It`s mixed feelings...but he did a solid race, good pace, consistent enough," Renault F1 team principal Eric Boullier said.
"He needs to improve on this but a good race. If he can deliver like he did this weekend in every race I think he will be good enough to bring points home."
Senna raced for struggling HRT last season but has not been on the starting grid in November and recognised he had got his braking distances wrong with the car on a full fuel load.
He apologised afterwards to Spaniard Jaime Alguersuari, the Toro Rosso driver he ploughed into and dumped out of the race.
"Obviously I would have liked to have finished higher, considering my grid position, but I`ve now got a good pace to build on and take me through to Monza (next week`s Italian Grand Prix)," said Senna.
Boullier was willing to give the Brazilian, who is yet to be confirmed beyond Monza, time.
"He tested a couple of times but he didn`t race since November, so he needed this weekend and race to get back on track and up to speed," he said.
"The outcome of the weekend is frustrating...but I think the car is fast enough to maybe fight with Mercedes, which is good. Both drivers, if they don`t make any mistakes or silly things, they can be there."
Lotus-backed Renault are fifth in the championship, 30 points behind Mercedes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'