Ricciardo wins drama-laden race to end Mercedes run in Canadian GP
Daniel Ricciardo ended Mercedes early-season domination on Sunday when he drove his Red Bull to his maiden victory in a crash and incident-packed Canadian Grand Prix.
The 24-year-old Australian took full advantage of power problems that hit both championship leader Nico Rosberg and his Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the closing stages to claim a stirring triumph.
Briton Hamilton was forced to retire, but German Rosberg managed to nurse his car home in second place ahead of Ricciardo`s Red Bull team-mate defending four-time champion German Sebastian Vettel.
Rosberg opens up a 22-point lead over Hamilton in the championship standings.
The final lap was run behind a Safety Car after a horrifying high-speed collision between Mexican Sergio Perez of Force India and Brazilian Felipe Massa of Williams saw them fly off into the barriers.
Both were seen moving in their cockpits at the end of the 70-laps contest and appeared not to be seriously injured after the incident as they braked from speeds of more than 240 kph.
Ricciardo`s win meant he has now beaten Vettel in the last five races, a feat that saw him receive well-deserved congratulations from his team-mate in the aftermath of a drama-laden event.
Briton Jenson Button came home fourth for McLaren ahead of fifth placed German Nico Hulkenberg in the second Force India with two-time champion Spaniard Fernando Alonso sixth for Ferrari.
Finn Valtteri Bottas finished seventh in the second Williams ahead of Frenchman Jean-Eric Vergne of Toro Rosso, Danish rookie Kevin Magnussen in the second McLaren and 10th placed Finn Kimi Raikkonen in the second Ferrari.
Perez and Massa were placed 11th and 12th respectively at the finish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore