Sahara Force India unveils the VJM06 at Silverstone
Silverstone (UK): Aiming a strong start in the new Formula One season, Sahara Force India today unveiled its upgraded car VJM06 here today.
The team management claimed that the car was "more evolution than revolution with the removal of the `step` nose being the most obvious visual change".
Race Driver Paul Di Resta pulled the covers off the VJM06 to mark the unveiling of the car at the Silverstone circuit.
The VJM06 is the third car to be overseen by Technical Director Andrew Green and builds on the strengths of the 2012 car.
Team Principal Vijay Mallya said that there was not massive change in the new car but hoped it would performed better than the earlier car.
"The VJM06 doesn`t look massively different to its predecessor, but beneath the skin we`ve looked at every detail to try and find more performance," Mallya said.
"I`ve followed the development of the car closely and I`m proud of what we have achieved. The objective now is to make sure we build on the promise of last year and have a strong start to the season," he added.
Di Resta, half of the team`s 2013 line-up, was delighted to see his new car.
"Seeing the car built and complete for the first time is a special feeling. I`ve followed its progress in the tunnel and it looks very impressive -- aggressive and fast. Now I`m just eager to get out there and see where we stand compared to our competitors. After the winter I feel refreshed and keen to get back to business," he said.
Technical Director Andrew Green said, "It`s a brand new car from the ground-up -- everything is new. We discussed carrying over big chunks of last year`s car, including the chassis, but decided not to. There were still some gains to be had with the chassis, so we elected to take the performance benefits.
"The biggest change that everybody is going to notice this year is the fairing on top of the nose to hide the `step`. It`s neutral as far as the car`s performance is concerned but tidies up the flow over the top of the chassis."
Chief Operating Officer Otmar Szafnauer praised the team`s efforts over the winter to develop the VJM06.
"We`re very optimistic. We`ve been working hard over the winter, trying to make improvements where we know we can find performance. Everything has come together very nicely. We`ve also focussed on operational strength by bolstering our simulator programme and increasing our CFD capacity with new hardware."
Sahara Force India cars will be powered by Mercedes engines with the gearbox supplied by McLaren Applied Technologies for a fifth season. This will be the third season with the Mercedes KERS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- It's OUT! Anushka Sharma's 'dhobi pachaad' first look from 'Sultan'!
- Sanders outlines his list of Democratic Party reforms
- Revealed! How low testosterone raises diabetes risk
- Ranveer Singh, Varun Dhawan, Arjun Kapoor, Sidharth Malhotra, Shahid Kapoor, Karan Singh Grover – Kisme Kitni ‘ab’ hai
- Coal scam: Court orders framing of charges against Naveen Jindal