Schumacher has beaten lung infection: Report
Berlin: Formula One legend Michael Schumacher, lying in a coma in a French hospital since a December skiing accident, has overcome a lung infection, German daily Bild reported Friday.
The newspaper had reported two days earlier that Schumacher had contracted pneumonia last week, but it said Friday that the infection in fact had happened earlier and "this week no longer spells an acute danger".
"Therefore Schumi has already won the fight against pneumonia," said the top-selling daily, using the popular nickname for the 45-year-old German racing driver.
Schumacher has been in intensive care in Grenoble University Hospital since his December 29 accident in the Alpine resort of Meribel in which he hit his head against a rock in an impact strong enough to crack his helmet.
After surgery to reduce bleeding and bruising he was placed in a medically induced coma and his body temperature lowered to reduce the risk of further damage.
Schumacher`s spokesman said on January 30 that the drugs used to keep him in a coma were being reduced with a view to bringing him back to consciousness.
His family said Thursday he was "still in a waking up process" which could take a long time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof