Schumacher rejects Lotus offer to replace `injured` Raikkonen
London: Former Formula One star Michael Schumacher has reportedly turned down an offer from British F1 side Lotus to come out of retirement and drive in the final two races of the season.
The seven-time world champion declined the invitation to replace the injured Kimi Raikkonen, whose place will now be filled by fellow Finn Heikki Kovalainen.
According to the BBC, Schumacher`s manager confirmed the offer, saying that she can understand it as Schumacher is still very fit for his age, although she added that he has happily settled in his new life.
The report mentioned that a back injury means Raikkonen will miss the race in Austin on Sunday followed by the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix a week later, following which he will drive for Ferrari, one of Schumacher`s former teams, next season.
Schumacher retired in 2006 after a decade with Ferrari, but made a comeback with Mercedes in 2010 and the German retired again at the end of last season, making way for Lewis Hamilton, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened