New Delhi: Formula one star Sebastian Vettel has decided to stay with Ferrari as Mercedes has been thinking to replace him with recently retired Formula One champion Nico Rosberg for its next season. Nico is the third German driver who has won the championship after Michel Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel.
Ferrari, who failed to win a race this year, has been considering the name of Vettel after the Nico's surprised decision to retire. Talking about his decision Vettel told reporters, "I think it`s not a big secret that both myself and Kimi (Raikkonen) have a contract for next year," at the Ferrari World Finals event in Daytona, Florida, on Sunday.
Talking about Mercedes, he said "I don`t know what is their plan," he further added "But for us we look after ourselves for next year, there`s lots of things changing so we`re quite busy ourselves," and
"We`re very positive for next year."
Vettel 29, who won his titles with Red Bull between 2010 and 2013 said that Nico's decision of retirement was very brave and it was easier for him to carry on. "I was 23 when I won the first title so I was having a different mindset. I wanted to go out and do it again, which looking back, I can say I did. I love racing and want to continue," he added.
Earlier on Sunday, Mercedes non-executive team chairman Niki Lauda said that he expected a replacement to be announced before the end of the year.
Pascal Wehrlein, the team's German reserve who won the Rookie of the year award at Autosport awards on Sunday in London ,is right now bookmakers favourite. While interacting with audience Wehrlein says "One season in F1 is not a lot but I feel ready for the job and confident". Further adding he said "I`ve done most days with the 2017 tyres and I think it`s very important to have that experience."
(With AFP inputs)