Sofuoglu storms to victory at Silverstone
New Delhi: Mahi Racing Team India rider Kenan Sofuoglu stormed to his second successive victory in the 2013 World Supersport Championship when he took the chequered flag at the Silverstone track in UK today.
Sofuoglu clocked 34`25.660, while Indian team`s second rider Fabien Foret, who began the race in seventh spot also finished at the podium. He took the third spot with a timing of 34`37.825, behind Sam Lowes of Takhnich Motorsport.
This was the second time in nine races that both the Mahi Racing riders have finished on the podium together.
Defending world champion Sofuoglu, who had won the seventh leg in Imola, began the race in second spot behind Lowes but was quick to wrest the initiative and claim 25 points for the winner.
The Turkish rider was the favorite to win the eighth leg in Moscow after superb display in Imola, Italy where he has won the 8th leg of the 2013 Championship.
However, with the stewards decision to cancel the Moscow race and another win in Silverstone has resulted in bridging the gap between Kenan Sofuoglu and Sam Lowes, who is currently leading the points tally. Sofuoglu stands at 131 points and Lowes leads the standing with 160 points.
Mahi Racing Team chairman Arun Pandey credited the excellent planning for the race result.
"We went into the race with the confidence that we can have both our riders on the podium and we did that. We have managed eight podiums so far in nine races and are very much in the hunt to take the championship," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing