Stage set for Lewis Hamilton to scorch BKC roads
Mumbai: Stage is set for Mumbai`s motorsports fans to witness Formula One star Lewis Hamilton scorching the roads of the Bandra Kurla Complex here on Sunday.
The decks have been cleared for the ace British driver to enthral thousands of Formula One fans at BKC in his MP4-27 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes car following permission granted for the event by the Mumbai police on Friday.
"Permission for the Vodafone event has been granted," Additional Police Commissioner Vishwas Nagre Patil said.
Interest for the `Vodafone Speed Fest` has heightened as McLaren`s Hamilton, the 2008 Formula One Champion, is coming down to Mumbai after winning the Italian GP last Sunday, his third win of the season, and a week ahead of the Singapore GP.
Police have given a list of `Dos and Don`ts` to the organisers and asked them to ensure proper barricading for the speed run to be held tomorrow evening at 6:30 pm.
The organisers are expecting about 40,000 people for the event, police said.
Last year, Hamilton had participated in a similar event in Bangalore.
"I had a wonderful experience in Bangalore last year and this year I am hoping that the excitement will be faster, smarter and better in Mumbai," the F1 driver has said ahead of the speed fest.
This year`s event was shifted from Marine Drive to BKC following objections from the residents of the picturesque south Mumbai venue.
Hamilton is no stranger to India and it is his fifth visit to the country.
He had previously taken part in Vodafone customers karting mania in Mumbai in 2008, cricket fever in Delhi in 2009, fun racing at Motor sports Club, Chennai in 2010 and in the city car run at Nice Road, Bangalore in 2011.
Some lucky customers will also get a chance to ride with Lewis in the Mercedes AMG sports car during this speed run. Organisers are expecting around 40,000-50,000 people to attend this event which is free for all.
The event, supported by MTDC, has all the requisite permissions from authorities concerned like MMRDA and Mumbai Police, informed a spokesperson from the organisers.
"The organisers are working very closely with them to stage this event and ensure smooth flow of traffic to and fro BKC during the event," the spokesperson added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam