Third generation Hill quits racing
London: Josh Hill, son of 1996 Formula 1 champion Damon, has decided to quit racing at the age of 22 and is looking for other career options.
Josh`s surprising decision comes at a time when he is lying 10th in the Formula 3 European Championship.
"I do not want to compete unless I am 100 percent devoted," Josh, who is also the grandson of two-time F1 champion Graham Hill, posted on Twitter Tuesday.
He wrote: "Thanks for all the support you`ve given me, it means the world. But I feel like my future lies elsewhere."
It was only in February that the Surrey based driver got a taste of India. Josh competed in the final round of MRF Challenge in Chennai and won a race on debut ahead of Jordan King and Conor Daly, who had more experience of the championship.
His current move has left his Euro F3 team in a spot of bother.
"Damon phoned me and said that Josh has decided to stop and pursue other options. We`re gutted about it and really disappointed, and obviously surprised, and it`s a great shame because he was making such good progress," Fortec team principal Richard Dutton was quoted as saying by Autosport.
Among his other racing endeavours, Josh drove alongside upcoming Indian driver Shahaan Engineer. The two raced for UK-based Fortec in the 2012 Formula Renault 2.0 Northern European Cup where Josh finished third behind King.
His family name also helped him race in places like New Zealand.
On being asked how it is to be a ‘Hill`, he said on his India visit: "It sometimes gets quite surreal. I was racing in New Zealand and everyone got so excited after getting to know about my background. Anyway, it is an honour to be born in such a family."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city