Todt elected FIA president
London: Frenchman Jean Todt was elected president of the International Automobile Federation (FIA) on Friday.
The ex-Ferrari Formula One team boss, who stood against Finland`s former world rally champion Ari Vatanen, succeeds Max Mosley as head of world motorsport`s governing body.
"Jean Todt has been elected president of the FIA for a four-year term by the FIA General Assembly at its annual meeting in Paris," an FIA statement said.
Officials said Todt had won 135 votes to Vatanen`s 49, with 12 abstentions.
"It`s positive, very positive," seven-times Formula One champion Michael Schumacher told waiting reporters after the news was announced.
Todt had been backed throughout an increasingly acrimonious campaign by Mosley and had also received support from Schumacher and Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone.
Vatanen, a former European parliamentarian, stood on a platform of change and transparent governance to make a clean break from the Mosley era.
Mosley, whose private life became very public last year when it emerged that he had engaged in sado-masochistic sex sessions with prostitutes, had been FIA president since 1993.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery