Vazquez finishes 8th for Mahindra Racing
Jerez (Spain): Mahindra Racing delivered a third successive top-10 finish with 26-year-old Efrén Vázquez coming in eighth in the Spanish Grand Prix, the third round of the Moto3 championship, here.
However, the other Mahindra rider Miguel Oliveira missed out on points as he finished 16th Sunday after recovering from a 11th lap crash. It was the first time that Mahindra failed to get both riders in the World Championship points.
The race was stopped after a crash with more than two-thirds distance completed and the results were taken from one lap earlier, the 15th of a scheduled 23.
Vazquez said: “This is my second top-10 this year and Mahindra has had one or both riders in the top-10 at every race so far. This is really important, so finally I am happy with this position.
“In the race, I had a slight problem with the engine temperature coming up so the bike was not really fast but the chassis setting was really good. I could keep fighting with the KTMs in the group. I tried my best and then the red flag came out.”
Oliveira said: “The race was going well. We changed the bike setting from yesterday and the feeling was quite good and getting better in the race. I was getting to the front of the second group when I touched another rider and we both crashed. I was not happy because I did not think it was my mistake. Now we will try again at the next race. The bike is getting better and we are beginning to understand the best settings.”
Mahindra Racing CEO Mufaddal Choonia said: “It was good and bad so we have mixed feelings. It was terrible for Miguel. The accident was not his fault and he was having a phenomenal race with a potential for fourth place. But we are glad Efrén pulled off a good race to help keep Mahindra third in the Constructors’ Championship and to keep himself in the top 10 - he’s tenth overall, and Miguel is seventh.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened