Vettel says Senna inspired him to complete hat trick of F1 titles
New York: Sebastian Vettel described his achievement of claiming a third successive Formula One crown in the country of racing legend Ayrton Senna as unreal.
The Red Bull driver became the youngest ever triple world champion in the history of the sport after recovering from a disastrous start to finish sixth at the Brazilian Grand Prix.
“We’re here in Sao Paulo, the place where he (Senna) was born, came from and was buried,” Vettel was quoted as saying in media reports.
“To come here and win the championship for a third time – I don’t really know what to say. It’s not sunk in, I’ve hardly had any time for myself. There are only two guys who have done that before,” he was quoted as saying.
Brazilian favourite Senna, who won his home Grand Prix in 1990 and 1991, was also a three-time world champion before his tragic death following a crash at Imola in 1994, the paper added.
Senna, who died at the age of just 34, won 41 races in 161 attempts and established himself as one of the most talented drivers to have ever graced the sport, it said.
Vettel, 25, is just the third driver in history to win three successive titles, equalling the achievements of Argentine Juan Manuel Fangio and Germany`s Michael Schumacher, it concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you