Vettel says Senna inspired him to complete hat trick of F1 titles
New York: Sebastian Vettel described his achievement of claiming a third successive Formula One crown in the country of racing legend Ayrton Senna as unreal.
The Red Bull driver became the youngest ever triple world champion in the history of the sport after recovering from a disastrous start to finish sixth at the Brazilian Grand Prix.
“We’re here in Sao Paulo, the place where he (Senna) was born, came from and was buried,” Vettel was quoted as saying in media reports.
“To come here and win the championship for a third time – I don’t really know what to say. It’s not sunk in, I’ve hardly had any time for myself. There are only two guys who have done that before,” he was quoted as saying.
Brazilian favourite Senna, who won his home Grand Prix in 1990 and 1991, was also a three-time world champion before his tragic death following a crash at Imola in 1994, the paper added.
Senna, who died at the age of just 34, won 41 races in 161 attempts and established himself as one of the most talented drivers to have ever graced the sport, it said.
Vettel, 25, is just the third driver in history to win three successive titles, equalling the achievements of Argentine Juan Manuel Fangio and Germany`s Michael Schumacher, it concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan