Vettel secures fourth straight Suzuka pole
Suzuka: Sebastian Vettel stormed to his fourth straight pole position at the Formula One Japanese Grand Prix qualifying here Saturday, while his teammate Mark Webber went second fastest to seal a Red Bull front row.
The result gives the German world champion the best chance possible of closing Fernando Alonso`s 29-point lead in the drivers` standings after the Spaniard posted a time that sees him start sixth in a Ferrari.
McLaren`s Jensen Button went third-fastest but has a five-place grid penalty for an illegal gearbox change and must start in eighth, one position ahead of teammate Lewis Hamilton.
That promotes Sauber`s local hero Kamui Kobayashi to third on the grid, with Romain Grosjean of Lotus in fourth.
Sergio Perez, starts fifth in his first race since the announcement that the Mexican will replace Hamilton at McLaren next year, with the Briton taking the seat of the retiring Michael Schumacher at Mercedes.
Seven-time champion Schumacher starts on the back row after incurring a 10-place penalty for a collision with Toro Rosso`s Jean-Eric Vergne in Singapore last month.
Alonso, meanwhile, claimed to have been impeded by the last-lap spin of Kimi Raikkonen in Q3, which occurred after Vettel had gone quickest but before the Ferrari driver finished his final flying lap.
1. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull)
2. Mark Webber (Red Bull)
3. Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber)
4. Romain Grosjean (Lotus)
5. Sergio Perez (Sauber)
6. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
7. Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus)
8. Jenson Button (McLaren)
9. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren)
10. Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
11. Paul di Resta (Force India)
12. Pastor Maldonado (Williams)
13. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
14. Daniel Ricciardo (Toro Rosso)
15. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India)
16. Bruno Senna (Williams)
17. Heikki Kovalainen (Caterham)
18. Timo Glock (Marussia)
19. Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso)
20. Pedro de la Rosa (HRT)
21. Charles Pic (Marussia)
22. Vitaly Petrov (Caterham)
23. Michael Schumacher (Mercedes)
24. Narain Karthikeyan (HRT)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire