Virgin F1 team seeks name change to Marussia
London: Virgin Racing want to change their name to Marussia next season to more accurately reflect the Formula One team`s current ownership structure.
F1 team sources told Reuters on Tuesday that the request would be put to a meeting of the governing FIA`s Formula One commission in Geneva on Thursday along with others already made by Renault and Team Lotus.
Renault, no longer owned by the French carmaker, want to be renamed Lotus while Team Lotus plan to take the name of niche sportscar maker Caterham.
The changes will require the agreement of 18 of the 26-member commission.
Russian sportscar maker Marussia took a significant stake in Virgin Racing last year and are the title sponsor.
The team, who have yet to score a point since their debut in 2010, compete under a Russian licence and announced a long-term technical partnership with McLaren in July to help them move up the grid.
The Virgin Group run by billionaire Richard Branson, who attended Sunday`s inaugural Indian Grand Prix near New Delhi, would remain a partner of the British-based team and retain branding on the car.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country