Webber slams taxi ride reprimand as `comical`
London: Australian Mark Webber has branded the reprimand he was given for hitching a ride on Fernando Alonso`s Ferrari after the Singapore Grand Prix night race `comical`.
The reprimands for the Red Bull driver and Alonso have been a talking point since Sunday with Webber also collecting a 10 place grid penalty on the starting grid for next week`s Korean Grand Prix because of two previous offences.
Webber told his 765,000 followers on Twitter on Tuesday that for the pair "to receive reprimands for our actions after the race it is comical to say the least. Great moment, and fans loved it.
"And while I`m at it, contrary to reports, there was no interaction at all with any track officials after we put the fire out."
The Australian had retired on the last lap at the Marina Bay street circuit after his car ran out of water and the engine caught fire.
He then ran back on the floodlit track to wave down Alonso`s Ferrari, which other cars had to weave to avoid, on the slowing down lap and ride back to the pits on it.
Mercedes` Lewis Hamilton, one of those who took avoiding action, said afterwards that he had been shocked when he came around the corner.
"If Mark had been walking across where I went then I would have run him over," said the 2008 world champion.
Britain`s Derek Warwick, a former grand prix racer who was one of the stewards in Singapore, said the reprimands were fully justified because of the potential danger posed.
"It is not health and safety gone mad," he told the Daily Telegraph. "A driver could easily have been hurt. I hope we`re not seen as killjoys.
"I want Formula One to be entertaining. I want it to be a spectacle. I`m a big fan of MotoGP and I wish we in Formula One could get closer to the drivers like they do in MotoGP," added the British Racing Drivers` Club president.
"We have become a bit sterile in many ways in Formula One. But we cannot put drivers at risk. If it had been done in a safer manner then it might have been viewed differently. You can`t have cars parked in the middle of a corner."
Webber posted a picture on Twitter of Warwick hitching a ride on the back of Austrian Gerhard Berger`s Ferrari at the 1988 Japanese Grand Prix as well as other photographs of similar incidents over the years.
"Looks like even one of the Singapore stewards has done it...#C`estlavie," he commented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks