Weight concerns for Button as F1 Grand Prix nears
London: McLaren driver Jenson Button has reportedly revealed that both he and Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton are facing a weight battle ahead of the upcoming Grand Prix.
Formula One Grand Prix, which kick starts in Australia in March, rule makers have imposed new weight restrictions allowing only 49kgs for the heavier turbo hybrid engines this season amongst other changes.
According to the Mirror, the taller and heavier drivers are struggling to be competitive with their shorter, lighter rivals and Mark Webber , who has departed from Red Bull, has warned drivers over 64kgs that they will not be competitive.
However, Button who is reportedly the lightest of his life at 70kgs, said that if he does not lose weight McLaren would be limited in weight distribution and this is the `slimmest` he has ever been before a season.
Button also added that he talked to Hamilton and said that Hamilton`s `taller` haircut makes him look tall but he is `skinnier` than ever.
The six-foot tall racer also said that being slim is part of the job for all athletes but the problem is that the other athletes are very `slim, fit and healthy` whereas the Formula One racers are `slim` because they are `restricted` on how much they can `eat`.
Button further added that though his weight loss may sound small but in qualifying it could be a position or two and in the race it could be five or six seconds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka