Nightclub brawl: BCCI mulls action
Mumbai: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is set to issue show cause notices to four players, who were allegedly involved in a brawl at a nightclub just hours after the team lost to Sri Lanka in the Super Eight match of the T20 World Cup and crashed out of the mega event.
BCCI Secretary N Srinivasan would issue the show cause notice tomorrow to an unknown number of players -- believed to be four -- at Board President Shashank Manohar`s behest, its Chief Administrative Officer Ratnakar Shetty told reporters here.
The tough stand of the Board came after tour manager Ranjib Biswal met Manohar and Srinivasan to give them first-hand information of what happened when some players were reportedly involved in a brawl at a pub in St Lucia with their fans from the United States.
"The manager of the Indian team, Ranjib Biswal, today met the Board President. The Board President and Secretary took information from him regarding the West Indies tour and also from the written report (submitted by Biswal earlier)," Shetty said.
"We also conducted an enquiry over the incident in the West Indies that was widely reported in the media. After considering all the information that we have gathered, the President took the decision that the Board Secretary will issue a show cause notice to those players tomorrow," Shetty said.
Shetty said identity of the players would be revealed only when the notice is issued but speculation is rife that Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma, Ashish Nehra and Ravindra Jadeja are the errant players.
The incident for which the players are about to be hauled over the coals happened at the "Tequila Joe`s" pub on May 11 at Gros Islet after India lost to Sri Lanka in their last Super Eight fixture and crashed out.
According to reports, six Indian cricketers were in the same pub when the fans started taunting and abusing them for their failure to reach the semi-final and the cricketers reacted leading to the brawl.
The reports were promptly denied by Yuvraj on his Twitter page where he wrote "There was no fight, not even an argument" and asked the media not to "make up stories".
After returning home, Nehra too denied there was a brawl in which the players were involved.
"No one said anything to us. There were many fans from all over the world from different teams but nothing happened with us," Nehra told reporters.
"As far as my knowledge goes, no untoward incident happened with us. We went to have our dinner there and were watching the West Indies and Australia match. Rest of the things that I am listening now, I have no knowledge of anything," Nehra said.
Interestingly, speaking to reporters last week after submitting his report to the BCCI, team manager Ranjib Biswal had denied the brawl in St Lucia and said only a verbal altercation took place between the cricketers and their fans.
"That incident (brawl) never took place. It was just a verbal talk and there is nothing substantial to that. There was an argument because the boys, who went there for dinner, were harassed by some Indian fans. There is nothing much about it," Biswal had said.
Apart from their discipline problems, a number of Indian players earned coach Gary Kirsten`s wrath for their poor fitness as well.
"At 42, I`m fitter than you," an angry Kirsten reportedly told them at a meeting after the team got eliminated from the World Cup.
Kirsten felt as many as eight players in the team were overweight and three were unfit for cricket at any level.
The former South African opener has not yet submitted his tour report to the Board.