`Dhyan Chand should get first Bharat Ratna for sportspersons`
Bhopal: Former Olympian Aslam Sher Khan on Friday said hockey legend Dhyan Chand should be the first sportsperson to be awarded the Bharat Ratna, the country`s highest civilian honour.
"Dhyan Chand had led India to victory in hockey in the 1928 Holland Olympics, in the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics and the 1936 Germany Olympics," he told PTI here.
"We all know that Dhyan Chand was a magician with the hockey stick who brought glory to India during the pre- independence period," he added.
The former MP said also supported the vociferous demand for honouring Indian cricket`s batting great Sachin Tendulkar with the award.
Sachin should get the Bharat Ratna.
It was because of him that an environment had been created in which there was talk of giving the award to sportspersons, he said.
Aslam said apart from Dhyan Chand and Sachin Tendulkar, Balbir Singh (Sr) who led India to victory in hockey in the 1948, 1952 and 1956 Olympics, sprint queen P T Usha, legendary all-rounder Kapil Dev and ace shooter Abhinav Bindra should also be considered for the honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?