`Dhyan Chand should get first Bharat Ratna for sportspersons`
Bhopal: Former Olympian Aslam Sher Khan on Friday said hockey legend Dhyan Chand should be the first sportsperson to be awarded the Bharat Ratna, the country`s highest civilian honour.
"Dhyan Chand had led India to victory in hockey in the 1928 Holland Olympics, in the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics and the 1936 Germany Olympics," he told PTI here.
"We all know that Dhyan Chand was a magician with the hockey stick who brought glory to India during the pre- independence period," he added.
The former MP said also supported the vociferous demand for honouring Indian cricket`s batting great Sachin Tendulkar with the award.
Sachin should get the Bharat Ratna.
It was because of him that an environment had been created in which there was talk of giving the award to sportspersons, he said.
Aslam said apart from Dhyan Chand and Sachin Tendulkar, Balbir Singh (Sr) who led India to victory in hockey in the 1948, 1952 and 1956 Olympics, sprint queen P T Usha, legendary all-rounder Kapil Dev and ace shooter Abhinav Bindra should also be considered for the honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Thrilled to be a grandfather: Boman Irani
- Misbah-ul-Haq's conversation with wife Uzma on Twitter is a HUGE hit on the internet!
- Leicester City midfielder Danny Drinkwater signs new five-year contract
- S Korea offers Tokyo-funded money to 'comfort women'
- Jurgen Klopp tries to keep peace with frustrated Daniel Sturridge