`Dhyan Chand should get first Bharat Ratna for sportspersons`
Bhopal: Former Olympian Aslam Sher Khan on Friday said hockey legend Dhyan Chand should be the first sportsperson to be awarded the Bharat Ratna, the country`s highest civilian honour.
"Dhyan Chand had led India to victory in hockey in the 1928 Holland Olympics, in the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics and the 1936 Germany Olympics," he told PTI here.
"We all know that Dhyan Chand was a magician with the hockey stick who brought glory to India during the pre- independence period," he added.
The former MP said also supported the vociferous demand for honouring Indian cricket`s batting great Sachin Tendulkar with the award.
Sachin should get the Bharat Ratna.
It was because of him that an environment had been created in which there was talk of giving the award to sportspersons, he said.
Aslam said apart from Dhyan Chand and Sachin Tendulkar, Balbir Singh (Sr) who led India to victory in hockey in the 1948, 1952 and 1956 Olympics, sprint queen P T Usha, legendary all-rounder Kapil Dev and ace shooter Abhinav Bindra should also be considered for the honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi