`Dhyan Chand should get first Bharat Ratna for sportspersons`
Bhopal: Former Olympian Aslam Sher Khan on Friday said hockey legend Dhyan Chand should be the first sportsperson to be awarded the Bharat Ratna, the country`s highest civilian honour.
"Dhyan Chand had led India to victory in hockey in the 1928 Holland Olympics, in the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics and the 1936 Germany Olympics," he told PTI here.
"We all know that Dhyan Chand was a magician with the hockey stick who brought glory to India during the pre- independence period," he added.
The former MP said also supported the vociferous demand for honouring Indian cricket`s batting great Sachin Tendulkar with the award.
Sachin should get the Bharat Ratna.
It was because of him that an environment had been created in which there was talk of giving the award to sportspersons, he said.
Aslam said apart from Dhyan Chand and Sachin Tendulkar, Balbir Singh (Sr) who led India to victory in hockey in the 1948, 1952 and 1956 Olympics, sprint queen P T Usha, legendary all-rounder Kapil Dev and ace shooter Abhinav Bindra should also be considered for the honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win