`Indian Badminton League to have six franchise`
Mumbai: The proposed Indian Badminton League, to be set up on the lines of the popular Indian Premier League in cricket, would commence with six franchise outfits and is expected to be held tentatively at the end of the year.
The idea to constitute the IBL was proposed by the Maharashtra Badminton Association and accepted by the parent body -- Badminton Association of India -- at its AGM in Lucknow on July 2, according to MBA President and former international shuttler Pradeep Gandhe.
"A lot of work needs to be done. We have to find out the availability of the players, whether the teams can have players from other countries, venues and format of the tournament etc. But, yes we are going ahead and I am confident it will be a success," said Gandhe.
Asked whether there would be auction of teams and players as is the case with the IPL, Gandhe said, "yes, definitely."
"This League is being started for the benefit of the players. The top ten players will have to be paid much more than what they get now in tournaments.
"If the association can get a piece of the players` cake, it will help us continue conducting the league," said the former shuttler, a doubles specialist.
Gandhe said the success of the Maharashtra Badminton League held in Pune, led to the state association`s proposal to make it into a national affair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof