`Squeaky clean` Tokyo `favourite host` for 2020 Olympics, say IOC sources
Tokyo: Tokyo is reportedly leading in the race for the host city for the 2020 Summer Olympics, according to members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
The Japanese capital`s emphasis on safety and security appears to be influencing the race for the 2020 Games by pitting its squeaky clean image against the turmoil and instability being witnessed in Istanbul and Madrid.
An IOC veteran from Europe said that Tokyo is within reach of winning the bid, while another high-profile member believes that the city will win as long as it does not make any major mistakes before the vote.
Although Tokyo`s lack of a clear concept for the games had been viewed as a weakness, the issue of security is rapidly gathering steam, adding that Tokyo is gaining support following anti-government protests in Istanbul, which was favored for its aim to become the first Islamic city to host the Games.
Madrid, meanwhile, has seen no end in sight to its economic crisis, hurting it chances for hosting the 2020 Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises