`Squeaky clean` Tokyo `favourite host` for 2020 Olympics, say IOC sources
Tokyo: Tokyo is reportedly leading in the race for the host city for the 2020 Summer Olympics, according to members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
The Japanese capital`s emphasis on safety and security appears to be influencing the race for the 2020 Games by pitting its squeaky clean image against the turmoil and instability being witnessed in Istanbul and Madrid.
An IOC veteran from Europe said that Tokyo is within reach of winning the bid, while another high-profile member believes that the city will win as long as it does not make any major mistakes before the vote.
Although Tokyo`s lack of a clear concept for the games had been viewed as a weakness, the issue of security is rapidly gathering steam, adding that Tokyo is gaining support following anti-government protests in Istanbul, which was favored for its aim to become the first Islamic city to host the Games.
Madrid, meanwhile, has seen no end in sight to its economic crisis, hurting it chances for hosting the 2020 Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- DNA: Today in History | 25th August, 2016
- Ronaldo beats Bale, Griezmann to win second UEFA Best Player in Europe Award
- After tribal's walk with wife's body, Odisha launches hearse scheme
- PM Modi pips Amitabh Bachchan, becomes most followed Indian on Twitter
- Tips to treat minor burns at home!
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG