`Squeaky clean` Tokyo `favourite host` for 2020 Olympics, say IOC sources
Tokyo: Tokyo is reportedly leading in the race for the host city for the 2020 Summer Olympics, according to members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
The Japanese capital`s emphasis on safety and security appears to be influencing the race for the 2020 Games by pitting its squeaky clean image against the turmoil and instability being witnessed in Istanbul and Madrid.
An IOC veteran from Europe said that Tokyo is within reach of winning the bid, while another high-profile member believes that the city will win as long as it does not make any major mistakes before the vote.
Although Tokyo`s lack of a clear concept for the games had been viewed as a weakness, the issue of security is rapidly gathering steam, adding that Tokyo is gaining support following anti-government protests in Istanbul, which was favored for its aim to become the first Islamic city to host the Games.
Madrid, meanwhile, has seen no end in sight to its economic crisis, hurting it chances for hosting the 2020 Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital