10,000 run in Bangalore midnight marathon
Bangalore: Around 10,000 men and women participated in the "Bhaag Bengaluru Bhaag" marathon held from Saturday midnight into the early hours of Sunday in the city`s upscale eastern suburb of Whitefield.
Organised by Rotary Bangalore IT corridor and sponsored by the State Bank of India, the event`s seventh edition witnessed about 1,500 participants in the full marathon (42 km) and 1,200 in the half marathon (21 km).
Kenyan-born Danile Yegon and Gladys Jepkechei won the full marathon in the men`s and women`s open categories respectively.
Indian-born Tripurari Singh of Bangalore and Sudhamani from Chennai were first in the Indian categories.
Yegon, who had also won the 2012 full marathon, set a new record with a timing of 2 hours, 11 minutes, while Ethiopian Ebesa Merga Ejgu came second in 2 hours, 15 minutes.
"This is my second full marathon in Bangalore. I think the cool weather and the timing make it more relaxing and easier to run. I hope to keep participating in this wonderful event year after year," Yegon told reporters later.
Besides athletes and professional runners from India and 17 other countries, hundreds of young and old from the armed forces, IT firms, corporates and colleges participated in the marathon, 5-km IT city fun run and community relay amidst drumbeats and loud cheers.
The event is held every year to raise funds for the Rotary`s social projects in environment, health, community and vocational services.
In the half marathon, Kenyan David Kiprotich came first in 1 hour 8 minutes, followed by Ethiopian Fikresedassie Haile in the men`s open category, while Santhosh from Bangalore was first in the Indian category with a timing of 1 hour 11 minutes.
In the women`s half marathon, Shilpi Sahu and N. Divya came first and second in the Indian category.
For 64-year-old barefoot runner K. Manjunath, running marathons helps him stay fit even in old age.
"This is my sixth midnight marathon and every year it gets better. It`s well organised and I love running at midnight. I have been running five km daily for the past 15 years and plan to continue as long as I can," Manjunath said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in