12 Indians qualify for prestigious IAAF World Race Walking Cup
New Delhi: In a record of sorts, 12 Indian athletes have qualified for the prestigious World Race Walking Cup to be held on May 3-4 in Taicang, China.
Five Indians made the cut in men`s 20km race walk event while another five qualified in men`s 50km competition.
National record holder K T Irfan, Gurmeet Singh, Devender Singh, K Ganapathi and Basant Bahadur Rana qualified in men`s 20km race walk event.
In men`s 50km race walk, the five Indians who made the cut are Sandeep Kumar, Babubhai Panucha, Maniram Patel, Manish Singh and Surinder Singh.
In women`s 20km race walk event, Khushbir Kaur and Rani Yadav will represent the country.
Twelve athletes making the cut for the prestigious World Race Walking Cup is an achievement in itself as it will be India`s largest perticipation in a top one-event athletics competition in recent years.
"12 athletes qualifying for an event of such importance is a rare achievement. World Race Walking Cup is the premier event of the IAAF in Race Walk and India is sending its largest contingent in a world event in athletics in recent memory," a top Athletics Federation of India told PTI.
India is sending one of the largest number of contingents in the event. Hosts China will have 27
competitors, followed by 22 from Spain, 21 each from Russia and Ukraine, 18 from Italy and 14 each from United States and Mexico and 13 from Portugal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers