14 expert committees to boost medal hopes for CWG, Asian Games
New Delhi: The Sports Authority of India has put in place 14 high-level expert committees, which have been mandated to identify the country`s medal prospects and provide them with specialised training in the run up to the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games to be held later this year.
The committees have been formed for 14 sporting disciplines including shooting, weightlifting, boxing, archery, athletics, judo, badminton and wushu among others.
Every committee will have 4-6 members each. It will comprise of concerned federation officials, SAI-appointed coaches, and sports experts.
The committees will primarily have three functions to perform - identification of core probables in their respective sport who would form the part of the training programme; identification of medal prospects out of these core probables; and identification of specialised training needs of selected athletes.
"These committees will function till the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. The committees will help in identifying the medal prospects who require specialised training and monetary support," SAI secretary Neeraj Kansal told a leading agency.
"The committees have started working from this month. First meeting of the shooting committee has already taken place and based on its recommendation, we sanctioned Rs 50 lakh each to four shooters for training abroad," he said.
Kansal informed that each committee will visit training and coaching camps, hold interaction with athletes and meet fortnightly to prepare the list of athletes.
This is the first time that SAI has come up with such an initiative and the committees have been formed to build on and enhance India`s medal standing at future Games.
Based on the recommendations of respective committees, SAI will work with athletes for the podium finish at the Games, along with developing them for future events.
"This new initiative will deepen India`s competitive prospects at the CWG and Asian Games and ensure that we continue to advance internationally," said another SAI official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing