2013 Tour de France: Daryl Impey makes history as Andre Greipel wins sixth stage
Montpellier: Daryl Impey made Tour de France history on Thursday by becoming the first African to take possession of the Tour de France yellow jersey.
Germany`s Andre Greipel, of Lotto, dominated a bunch sprint to win the sixth stage of the race, held over 176.5 km between Aix-en-Provence and Montpellier, ahead of Slovakian Peter Sagan and German Marcel Kittel.
Britain`s Mark Cavendish, who claimed his maiden win of the 100th edition and 24th of his career on Wednesday, finished fourth having crashed with 34 km to race and battling to rejoin the peloton.
"It was a very nervous stage but I knew if we kept it together we could win this stage," said Greipel, one of several sprinters out to grab a share of the glory normally enjoyed by Cavendish.
Impey, a South African who rides for Orica-GreenEdge, took over the race lead from Australian teammate Simon Gerrans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video