2018 PyeongChang Games organisers appoint interim head
Seoul: The head of the South Korea Olympic Committee will step in to take over interim leadership of the 2018 PyeongChang Games following the surprise resignation of two senior officials.
Kim Jung-haeng will take charge until a full-time replacement is found for Kim Jin-sun, who abruptly resigned as president of the committee on Monday in the middle of a review by the Board of Audit and Inspection (BAI).
An official at the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism denied the BAI review was the reason behind Kim Jin-sun`s resignation, which followed the exit of the vice president and secretary general of the committee, Moon Dong-hoo, who quit earlier this month.
Kim Jung-haeng, 70, assumed power as the most senior of the six vice presidents remaining on the organising committee for the country`s first Winter Olympics, the Yonhap News Agency reported on Wednesday.
He will be briefed on how preparations are going on Thursday.
In May, the International Olympic Committee heaped praise on Kim Jin-sun, who headed the failed bids to host the 2010 and 2014 Games, for his preparation work.
They did also urge for the organising committee to focus more on marketing, venue construction, test events and Games service in the next six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town