248 dope positive cases since 2009: Maken
New Delhi: National Anti-Doping Agency has caught 248 sportspersons for doping in the last two-and-half years out of which 138 have been handed bans, according to Sports Minister Ajay Maken.
In a written reply to a question at the Lok Sabha, Maken said that since its inception on January 1, 2009 till June 30 this year, the NADA has collected 6607 samples and 248 had returned positive for banned substances.
Maken also gave statistics of dope offenders during the period from 1991 to 2008 when the Dope Control Centre conducted the collection and testing of samples of sportspersons.
From 1991 to September 2008, the DCC collected 14767 samples, out of which 670 returned positive.
On a question regarding how the government plans to tackle the menace of doping, Maken listed the initiatives taken by the Sports Ministry.
"Increasing the frequency of testing of Core Probables undergoing training at various centres for London Olympics; Surprise checking of rooms of athletes, coaches and support personnel at training institutes and collection of samples; distribution of educational materials related to dope; closer surveillance and vigilance on coaches and support personnel through their employers," Maken said.
According to Maken, the terms of reference of the Justice Mukul Mudgal Committee which is inquiring into the recent athletics doping scandal are:
To determine the facts and circumstances leading to dope incidents.
To examine reasons for such large scale prevalence of doping and modus operandi involved, including availability of prohibited substances in and around training camps/competitions.
To inquire into the role of agencies involved.
To suggest remedial measures to improve the protocols of dope testing so that such lapses do not happen in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31