279 sportspersons have flunked dope tests in last 2 years
New Delhi: More than 250 sportspersons have flunked dope tests conducted by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) in the last two years with powerlifters and weightlifters topping the drug offenders` list.
Relying to a question in the Lok Sabha, Sports Minister Jitendra Singh stated that 279 sportspersons have returned positive for doping offence in the last two years.
"The government and the National Anti-Doping Agency are working towards dope free sports in the country in association with stakeholders to rid sports of this menace and create a clean and healthy environment for sports in India," the Minister stated.
"The NADA is taking stringent measures against doping in sports by conducting in-competition dope tests on sportspersons. The government has repeatedly announced zero tolerance to violation of the anti-doping regulation," he added.
The Minister informed the house that NADA has conducted 9898 dope tests in the last three years.
"During the period from 2009-2012, NADA has conducted numerous workshops, educational and awareness programmes about the prohibited substances and methods in sports across the country for sportspersons, young athletes, coaches and support staff," he said.
"To achieve better outreach and to reach the masses, NADA is coordinating with CBSE and School Games Federation of India both at the national and regional levels for programmes regarding anti-doping measures through sports events organised by the federations," Jitendra added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal