279 sportspersons have flunked dope tests in last 2 years
New Delhi: More than 250 sportspersons have flunked dope tests conducted by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) in the last two years with powerlifters and weightlifters topping the drug offenders` list.
Relying to a question in the Lok Sabha, Sports Minister Jitendra Singh stated that 279 sportspersons have returned positive for doping offence in the last two years.
"The government and the National Anti-Doping Agency are working towards dope free sports in the country in association with stakeholders to rid sports of this menace and create a clean and healthy environment for sports in India," the Minister stated.
"The NADA is taking stringent measures against doping in sports by conducting in-competition dope tests on sportspersons. The government has repeatedly announced zero tolerance to violation of the anti-doping regulation," he added.
The Minister informed the house that NADA has conducted 9898 dope tests in the last three years.
"During the period from 2009-2012, NADA has conducted numerous workshops, educational and awareness programmes about the prohibited substances and methods in sports across the country for sportspersons, young athletes, coaches and support staff," he said.
"To achieve better outreach and to reach the masses, NADA is coordinating with CBSE and School Games Federation of India both at the national and regional levels for programmes regarding anti-doping measures through sports events organised by the federations," Jitendra added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes