4 more including 1 Indian in dope net at kabaddi WC

Last Updated: Nov 10, 2011, 20:16 PM IST

Chandigarh: The doping controversy at the ongoing kabaddi World Cup is growing wider with every passing day as four more players, including one Indian, tested positive for banned substances, taking the list of offenders to a whopping 22.

"There is one player from India among four who have tested positive today. The sample of the Indian has tested positive for stanozolol," National Anti Doping Agency`s (NADA) director general, Rahul Bhatnagar told reporters.

He said two other players belonged to Australia and one from Canada tested positive.

Yesterday, six players -- two each from UK, Norway and US -- had tested positive.

"We have taken immediate action and have suspended the players and restricted them from taking further part in the tournament," Organising Secretary of the event and former Indian hockey captain, Pargat Singh said.

Other players who have tested positive so far include those from Italy, Argentina, Spain and Germany.

All the 22 players have been suspended and barred from taking part in the competition till their names are cleared, Pargat said.

The tests are being conducted by NADA, who have dispatched three teams to the venues, to conduct random tests.

Before start of the tournament, a special five-member anti-doping committee had also been formed.

More than 100 samples have been taken already.

PTI