40 Indian athletes in IAAF list of dope offenders
New Delhi: India has nothing to boast of in terms of achievements at world stage in athletics, but the country has topped in the number offenders caught for doping under IAAF rules.
In the latest IAAF list of dope offenders updated till October 31, a whopping 40 Indian athletes figured in the list out of 204 dope offenders all over the world.
Among the top Indians in the list were double Asian Games gold medallist Ashwini Akkunji and other top quarter-milers Mandeep Kaur and Sini Jose who were caught by the NADA in Indian athletics` worst doping scandal that hit the headlines last year.
The tests of all the 40 Indian athletes were done in the last three years.
India has never won an Olympic medal and the country has just one medal in World Championships -- a bronze won by Anju Bobby George in long jump in 2003.
But the whopping number of 40 dope cheats produced by the country in three years would be something to be ashamed of.
The number of athletes caught for doping in recent years would now put weightlifters to shame who were earlier the main dope offenders in Indian sport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes