40 Indian athletes in IAAF list of dope offenders
New Delhi: India has nothing to boast of in terms of achievements at world stage in athletics, but the country has topped in the number offenders caught for doping under IAAF rules.
In the latest IAAF list of dope offenders updated till October 31, a whopping 40 Indian athletes figured in the list out of 204 dope offenders all over the world.
Among the top Indians in the list were double Asian Games gold medallist Ashwini Akkunji and other top quarter-milers Mandeep Kaur and Sini Jose who were caught by the NADA in Indian athletics` worst doping scandal that hit the headlines last year.
The tests of all the 40 Indian athletes were done in the last three years.
India has never won an Olympic medal and the country has just one medal in World Championships -- a bronze won by Anju Bobby George in long jump in 2003.
But the whopping number of 40 dope cheats produced by the country in three years would be something to be ashamed of.
The number of athletes caught for doping in recent years would now put weightlifters to shame who were earlier the main dope offenders in Indian sport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket