61st National Basketball Championship from Tuesday
New Delhi: Top hoopsters of the country will be seen in action in the IMG-Reliance National Basketball Championship for Senior Men and Women starting here from Tuesday.
The eight-day tournament, to be organised by Basketball Federation of India (BFI) and IMG-Reliance, will feature 27 men`s and 23 women`s teams from different states across India, as well as teams from Railways and Services.
Most of the players who have represented India national squad in recent major tournaments -- at the Asian Games in Guangzhou and Super Kung Sheung Cup in Hong Kong -- will be participating in the championship.
Vishesh Bhriguvanshi, Jagdeep Singh, Yadvinder Singh, Hareesh Koroth, Dinesh CV, Dishant Shah, Trideep Rai, Prashanti Singh, Geethu Anna Jose, P Anitha, and Akanksha Singh will be among the top stars in action.
The matches will be held at the Talkatora Stadium and at Modern School.
"It has been a historic year for the BFI and basketball, as the IMG-Reliance group partnered with the federation to help promote the sport in India," BFI Secretary General Harish Sharma said in a release.
"Now, we are excited to bring the most talented Indian players and teams to Delhi so that they can perform at the biggest stage - the National Championships. Basketball is a sport that can easily become extremely popular in India, and we are hoping that this tournament will help encourage more youngsters to take part in the sport."
Reigning men`s and women`s champions Indian Railways have been grouped in Pool A of the Upper Pool in both the Men`s and Women`s divisions.
Groupings: Men: Upper Pool
Pool A: Indian Railways, Uttarakhand, Services, Karnataka, Kerala
Pool B: Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Chandigarh
Pool C: Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Tripura, West Bengal
Pool D: Delhi, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan
Pool E: Jammu and Kashmir, Bihar, Maharashtra, Pondicherry
Pool F: Gujarat, Assam, Mizoram, Orissa
Women: Upper Pool:
Pool A: Indian Railways, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh
Pool B: Delhi, Chhattisgarh, Tamil Nadu, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh
Pool C: Haryana, Orissa, Pondicherry
Pool D: Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan
Pool E: Chandigarh, Jharkhand, Bihar
Pool F: Gujarat, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM