A nail-biting sporty affair in guwahati
Guwahati: Who is the only world number one and major winner who have never won a single match at the Wimbledon in his entire career? What is common among Grand Masters Alexander Huzman, Maxim Rodshtein and Ukrainian super GM Pavel Eljanov? Which game consists of two main forms: Tudabarai and Qarajai and its players are called Chapandaz?
Well, these mindboggling questions were asked at the country’s biggest annual open sports quiz— SportsQuest 2012. The 2nd edition of the mega event, held in Guwahati every year, saw some amazing questions, being asked to some of the best quizzers across India and the stalwart contestants were as prompt answering those during the spectacular show at Pragjyoti-ITA centre on August 26.
Suvam Pal, an avid quizzer, author and a journalist with a leading English news channel was the quizmaster while renowned sports historian and scholar Boria Majumdar graced the event as the honorary quizmaster and threw a barrage of questions to the participants, encompassing over 50 different sports.
This mega sports quiz event, the biggest quiz contest of Northeast, was organised by Trendsetters Career Academy a city based IT Training Institute in association with Oil India Limited for the second year in a row.
There were 158 teams participating in the preliminary round out of which 8 teams were selected for the final. After 25 questions in the prelims there were 8 rounds of quizzing including two buzzer rounds .
After a nail biting contest in the finals the winners were decided in the buzzer round. Team named “Night Watchmen” from Chennai consisting of Ramkey V and Anil Kumar took away the first prize of Rs. 1 lakh. Second prize of Rs 50,000.00 and Third prize of Rs 25,000.00 were shared between ANONYMOUS consisting of Wasi Manazir & Aniket Mishra and REVENGE consisting of Dr. S. Bhattacharjee and Kunal Malhotra both teams from Delhi.
Other finalists consisted of two teams from Kolkata and three teams from Guwahati. Guwahatians proved to be real quiz lovers and actively participated in the sports quizzing and won several audience prizes. Audience bagged close to 50 prizes consisting of electronic gadget and amusement park tickets. Mr. Jayanta Baruah of Oil India Limited addressed the gathering and termed SportsQuest-2012 to be a national quiz in real sense. Mr. PK Das of Shine Realtors, a veteran sports personality of Assam distributed the cash awards to the winners.
SOME OF THE QUESTIONS ASKED AT THE EVENT
1. Published by Wisdom Tree in 2007, ‘The Commonwealth Journey’ captured some of the glorious moments of the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games. Who was the writer?
2. In 2004, he was featured in an advertising campaign for sportswear manufacturer Adidas alongside David Beckham and Muhammad Ali. In 2011 he attempted and accomplished eight world records in one day, at the special Ontario Masters Association Invitational Meet named after him. In the same year he also featured in a PETA campaign. Name this vegetarian sports icon.
3. In February 2008 Sri Lanka created history by defeating the 4-time defending world champions in the 5th edition of this world cup held in Cannes, France. The Sri Lankan team comprised Chamil Cooray, Nishantha Fernando, J. Gunawardena and Viraj Fernando. Which sport is this?
4. According to Forbes, Floyd Mayweather tops the list of 100 highest-paid athletes in the world between 2011-2012, dethroning Tiger Woods who was hailed by Forbes as the highest earning athlete from 2001-2011. Behind another boxer Manny Pacquaio, Woods landed in the third rank with total earnings of $59.4 million. What is Mayweather’s total earnings from endorsements?
Zero (0) amount as Mayweather doesn’t have any endorsement. Actually, Mayweather got a huge payday amounting to a total of $85 million for his fights against Victor Ortiz with $40 million and Miguel Cotto with $45 million
5. In this particular sport, the men’s national team of New Zealand is called Black Sox while the women’s team is known as White Sox. Name the sport.