Abhijeet grabs sole lead with fifth victory in Parsvnath chess
New Delhi: Grandmaster and former world junior champion Abhijeet Gupta defeated fellow Grandmaster M R Lalith Babu to grab the sole lead on five points after the fifth round of the 12th Parsvnath Delhi International Grandmasters Chess Tournament here on Sunday.
With his fifth victory in as many games, Gupta surged ahead of the field by a full point at the half way stage with five rounds still to go.
It was a case of hit and miss for Babu who faced the Grunfeld defense from Gupta and went for the Hungarian variation that resulted in a oft-repeated variation. Gupta chose to win white`s queen for three minor pieces that is theoretically proven to be sound and Babu got the slight advantage he was hoping for as the game progressed.
However, just when things started to heat up, Gupta was able to retain the balance with a rook sacrifice for a minor piece and even proposed a draw that was spurned down. Hoping to win from a level position, Lalith Babu misjudged a tactical trick that cost him the full point.
As many as 11 players share the second spot on four points each. They are Georgian duo of Levon Pantsulaia and Merab Gagunashvili, Raset Ziatdinov of United States, Valeriy Neverov of Ukraine, Bobbir Sattarov of Uzbekistan and Indians M R Venkatesh, Deepan Chakkravarthy, Ankit Rajpara, Nr Vignesh, Deep Sengupta and Lalith Babu.
In the category `B` that concluded today, Vijay Kumar of Bihar clinched the title with his best tiebreak after a five-way tie was resolved at the top. Tallying 8.5 points, Vijay Kumar had the best Bucholz score to win a cash award of Rs. 1,00,000.
A notable performance in this section came from under-8 world champion R Praggananandhaa who also tied for the top place but had to be content with a fourth place finish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video