Abhijeet Gupta loses to Ziaur Rahman
Sharjah: Grandmaster Abhijeet Gupta suffered a shock defeat at the hands of Ziaur Rahman of Bangladesh in the second round of 13th Asian Continental Chess championship here at Sharjah Chess Club.
It was a bad day in office for Abhijeet who blew up a good position obtained with black pieces. The Indian faced the Trompovsky opening by seasoned Rahman, got a decent middle game on board and then looked good for a second straight victory in the tournament.
However, an erroneous plan led to deterioration in position quickly and Rahman was up to the task in finding the right manoeuvres to maintain a clean slate.
Indian Grandmasters G N Gopal and B Adhiban joined the group of seven leaders with a perfect score. Gundavaa Bayarsaikhan of Mongolia was outdone by Adhiban in a fine game with black pieces while Gopal excelled at the expense of Mamyrbay Assad of Kazakhstan.
With eight rounds still to come in the championship, highest rated Indian Krishnan Sasikiran is on 1.5 points. In the second round, Sasikiran was held to a draw by Mongolian Batchuluun Tsegmed.
Among other Indians in the fray, round one hero Abhijeet Kunte suffered a reversal at the hands of Grandmaster A R Salem Saleh of UAE.
In the women`s championship being held simultaneously, Tania Sachdev was held to a draw by Irine Kharisma Sukander of Indonesia. It was a Queen`s Indian defense wherein Tania got her preparation rolling on the board and got a good positional advantage in the queen less middle game.
Irine worked on her counter play in quick time and Tania, missed the thread of the position and allowed equality leading to a forced draw. Important and Indian results round 2 open (Indians unless specified): Deep Sengupta (1.5)drew with Rustam Kasimdzhanov (Uzb, 1.5); K Sasikiran (1.5) drew with Batchuluun Tsegmed (Mgl, 1.5); Vaibhav Suri (1) lost to Yu Yangyi (Chn, 2); Surya Shekhar Ganguly (1.5) drew with Wang Chen (Chn, 1.5); Ziaur Rahman (Ban, 2) beat Abhijeet Gupta (1); Gundavaa Bayarsaikhan (Mgl, 1) lost to B Adhiban (2); Rinat Jumabayev (Kaz, 1.5) drew with Debashis Das (1.5); Idani Pouya (Iri, 1.5) drew with S P Sethuraman (1.5); A R Salem Saleh (Uae, 2) beat Abhijit Kunte (1); G N Gopal (2) beat Mamyrbay Assad (Kaz, 1); M R Lalith Babu (1) drew with Parimarjan Negi (1); Vidit Gujrathi (1.5) beat Wang Yiye (Chn, 0.5); Vishnu Prasanna (1.5) beat Gao Rui (Chn, 0.5); M Shyam Sundar (1) beat Abdul Kader Raes (Syr, 0); Akshat Khamparia (1) beat Al-Hajiri Bader (Kuw, 0)
Women: Tania Sachdev (1.5) drew with Irine Kharisma Sukandar (Ina, 1.5); Nguyen Thi Mai Hung (Vie, 1) lost to Zhansaya Abdumalik (Kaz, 2); Soumya Swaminathan (1) lost to Sarasadat Khademalsharieh (Iri, 2); Hoang Thi Bao Tram (Vie, 1.5) drew with Atousa Pourkashiyan (Iri, 1.5); Swathi Ghate (1.5) drew with Gong Qianyun (Sin, 1.5); Dorsa Derakhshani (Iri, 0.5) lost to Munguntuul Batkhuyag (Mgl, 1.5); Hoang Thi Nhu Y (Vie, 1.5) beat Eesha Karavade (0.5); Mary Ann Gomes (1.5) beat Dahdal Lougain (Jor, 0.5).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what