Accused paid Rs 71.73L for Shilpa Shetty at Kalmadi`s behest
New Delhi: A Delhi court dealing with a CWG related corruption case on Monday said two of the accused had paid Rs 71.73 lakh for cinestar Shilpa Shetty`s performance in the closing ceremony of 2008 CWG Youth Games at Pune "merely to fulfil the last moment wish" of Suresh Kalmadi.
The court, which put sacked CWG Organising Committee chief Kalmadi and others on trial for the offences under various sections of the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act, observed that promoters of Faridabad-based Gem International, P D Arya and A K Madan, paid Rs 71.73 lakh to M/s Whiz Craft International Entertainment Pvt Ltd for Shetty`s performance.
According to court sources, Arya and Madan, who were representing Swiss Timing, which was "illegally" awarded the contract to install Timing, Scoring and Results (TSR) system for the 2010 CWG at inflated rates, had paid the money which was "arranged beyond the scope of work".
Sources said the court, in its order, has noted that both the accused were associated with the CWG Youth Games 2008 and had paid Rs 71,73,950 at Kalmadi`s instance through cheque on October 30, 2008 to Whiz Craft International Entertainment Pvt Ltd for Shetty`s performance.
Besides Kalmadi, Special CBI Judge Ravinder Kaur also framed charges against OC Secretary General Lalit Bhanot, Arya, Madan and others for criminal conspiracy, forgery, cheating and other offences entailing life imprisonment as maximum punishment.
The accused were chargesheeted by the CBI for "illegally" awarding a contract to install TSR system for the 2010 Games to Swiss Timing at inflated rates causing a loss of over Rs 90 crore to the exchequer.
The court had on December 21, 2012 passed the order on framing of charges under various provisions of the IPC and the PC Act against Kalmadi and other accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh