Accused paid Rs 71.73L for Shilpa Shetty at Kalmadi`s behest
New Delhi: A Delhi court dealing with a CWG related corruption case on Monday said two of the accused had paid Rs 71.73 lakh for cinestar Shilpa Shetty`s performance in the closing ceremony of 2008 CWG Youth Games at Pune "merely to fulfil the last moment wish" of Suresh Kalmadi.
The court, which put sacked CWG Organising Committee chief Kalmadi and others on trial for the offences under various sections of the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act, observed that promoters of Faridabad-based Gem International, P D Arya and A K Madan, paid Rs 71.73 lakh to M/s Whiz Craft International Entertainment Pvt Ltd for Shetty`s performance.
According to court sources, Arya and Madan, who were representing Swiss Timing, which was "illegally" awarded the contract to install Timing, Scoring and Results (TSR) system for the 2010 CWG at inflated rates, had paid the money which was "arranged beyond the scope of work".
Sources said the court, in its order, has noted that both the accused were associated with the CWG Youth Games 2008 and had paid Rs 71,73,950 at Kalmadi`s instance through cheque on October 30, 2008 to Whiz Craft International Entertainment Pvt Ltd for Shetty`s performance.
Besides Kalmadi, Special CBI Judge Ravinder Kaur also framed charges against OC Secretary General Lalit Bhanot, Arya, Madan and others for criminal conspiracy, forgery, cheating and other offences entailing life imprisonment as maximum punishment.
The accused were chargesheeted by the CBI for "illegally" awarding a contract to install TSR system for the 2010 Games to Swiss Timing at inflated rates causing a loss of over Rs 90 crore to the exchequer.
The court had on December 21, 2012 passed the order on framing of charges under various provisions of the IPC and the PC Act against Kalmadi and other accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30