Action against those found guilty by Shunglu Committee: Maken
New Delhi: Sports Minister Ajay Maken on Wednesday
assured that action would certainly be taken against any
official of his ministry who is found guilty by the V K
Shunglu committee set up to inquire into irregularities in the
preparations of last year`s Commonwealth Games.
"If anyone in the Sports ministry is found guilty, action
will surely be taken against him," said Maken on the sidelines
of a function to felicitate the members of Indian football
team, who participated in 1960 Rome Olympics.
The Shunglu committee was appointed by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh to probe into corruption in the preparations of
2010 Delhi Games.
In one of its reports, the Shunglu panel had accused the
Sports Ministry of pretending to be completely ignorant of the
sacked Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi`s decision
to grant Rs 33 crore "without any authority or prior
consultation" to 72 Commonwealth Games associations in various
countries at the Montego Bay meeting in 2003, which allotted
the Games to New Delhi.
"Although the ministry was aware of this announcement
since it had answered a parliament question on 2nd Dec, 2003
on this subject, it feigned complete ignorance and seemed
surprised," the panel had said.