Action will be taken if Vijender is found guilty: Jitendra Singh
New Delhi: Union Sports Minister Jitendra Singh today said that appropriate action will be taken against Olympic bronze-medallist Vijender Singh only if the boxer is found guilty in the drug scandal that has rocked Indian boxing.
"At this point of time the investigation is going on by the Punjab Police. When the conclusion comes and somebody is implicated or chargesheeted, we will definitely take action," said Singh.
"The guilty will be punished but that is the matter of Punjab Police. Investigation is being done by the Punjab Police," he added.
Super heavyweight pugilist Ram Singh have already been expelled from the National Institute of Sports after admitting to consuming contraband.
Ram, a former national championships medallist, has admitted to experimenting with drugs along with Vijender, who has denied the allegations.
Their names cropped up after the unearthing of heroin worth Rs 130 crore from Fatehgarh Sahib at an NRI`s flat. An SUV registered in the name of Vijender`s wife was found outside the flat during the police raid.
Vijender, a former world number one, gave India its first Olympic medal in boxing when he clinched a bronze in the 2008 Games. Besides, he is an Asian Games gold-medallist and a multiple-time Commonwealth Games medallist.
Considered the poster boy of Indian boxing, Vijender has stated that he is not involved in the scandal and does not know the alleged drug peddler caught by the police.
Earlier, Ram claimed that the Vijender consumed drugs with him on a few occasions but insisted that the duo mistook the contraband for food supplements. Ram was Vijender`s roommate at the NIS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof