Aditi sets up semifinal clash with Gurbani
Kolkata: Aditi Ashok set up an interesting duel with arch-rival Gurbani Singh in the semi-final after the former easily won her quarter-final in the Usha All India Ladies Matchplay Championships at the Tollygunge Club here friday.
Aditi, the defending champion and seeking to win the title and the Order of Merit, outplayed Seher Atwal 5 & 3, while Gurbani had to fight tooth and nail against Ridhima Dilawari before winning 2 & 1.
In the other half of the draw, the two matches were contrasting in nature. Millie Saroha, after trailing for a good part of the match, beat Raksha Phadke 2-up, while Gursimar Badwal ended the challenge of Jaipreet Ghumman 7 & 6 in a one-sided clash.
The semi-finals will be played tomorrow and the 36-hole final is scheduled for Sunday. This is the last event on the Usha ? IGU Calendar for 2012.
Aditi started well by winning the first two holes. Seher missed small putts on the first hole to give the early lead in to Aditi, who built on it and was 6-up after 11 holes.
However, Seher fought back winning the 12 and the 13th holes and eventually lost on 15th hole as Aditi made a 10-footer for birdie.
Ridhima was 3-under after 9 holes and was 1-up after 9 holes as Gurbani seemed to be struggling. But Gurbani hit back in time, as she won the 10th hole to level the match. The players were all square till the 15th, before Gurbani made a great birdie on the 16th to go one 1-up. She added the 17th as Ridhima missed her par putt while Gurbani tapped in a two-footer for par and wrapped up the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal
- Olympics 2016: More Russians banned in mounting Rio toll
- Throwback! Diana Penty’s Italian vacation pics will inspire you to visit the country
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci
- Nation remembers "Missile Man" APJ Abdul Kalam on his 1st death anniversary