Advani downs Parikh to enter final
Mumbai: Two-time world professional billiards champion Pankaj Advani on Friday trounced giant-killer Siddharth Parikh 7-1 to storm into the final of the Rs 22-lakh RKG-Khar Gymkhana Snooker Masters.
The 27-year-old Bangalore cueist fired four half century breaks and a century run on way to a 48-69 59-19 65-22 87-58 87-29 85-8 119-0 61-9 win in a one-sided semi final.
Advani, of Petroleum Sports Promotion Board, would meet either world No. 21 Stephen Lee, the title favourite, or his English compatriot and world No. 26 Michael Holt in the final tomorrow at the Khar Gymkhana.
Giant-killer Parikh, who shocked Asian champion Aditya Mehta 5-4 in the quarter-final yesterday, began well by winning the opening frame in which Advani struck a break of 42.
But his challenge ended abruptly as Advani made a break of 44 to win the second frame and never looked back.
Parikh was left stranded as Advani dominated the remainder of the best-of-13 frames encounter. The 119 clearance ? the highest break in the tournament so far ? in the seventh frame emphasised the Indian professional`s class.
"Siddharth has been playing well right through the competition and is the giant-killer of the tournament after he beat Aditya (Mehta). So, I never expected to win so comfortably," he said after the victory.
"Pankaj was just too good for me today," conceded Railways cueist Parikh.
"I played with nothing to lose against a formidable opponent who was the favourite. But I am happy with my performance in the tournament. Reaching the semi-finals in a star-studded competition was an honour."
This morning, Holt overcame Shahbaaz Khan of PSPB 5-2 in the last best-of-nine frames quarter-final.
Results: Semi-finals: Pankaj Advani (PSPB) bt Siddharth Parikh (Rlys) 48(42)-69 59(44)-19 65-22 87(56)-58 87(51)-29 85(54)-8 119(119)-0, 61(54)-9.
Quarter-finals: Michael Holt (England) bt Shahbaaz Khan (PSPB) 67-41, 53-33, 53-68, 69(69)-1, 44-58, 74(57)-1, 77-15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon