Advani in World Snooker Championship semifinals
Bangalore: Sticking true to his reputation, local lad Pankaj Advani on Friday entered the semifinals of the IBSF World Snooker Championship defeating Belgium`s Peter Bullen 6-2.
Advani will now play Wales` Lee Walker, who caused a major upset, defeating former world snooker champion Thepchaiya Un-Nooh of Thailand 6-2.
Played in front of fairly packed KSBA auditorium, the quarterfinal got off to a flying start as Advani powered a break of 62 clinching the opening frame 71-7. But he conceded the next frame when his opponent crafted a break of 123.
The third frame followed a similar path but was decided on a superb snooker laid by Bullen. Advani failed to hit the colours on the cushion and as a result it left him out of the contention to claim the frame.
At 1-2, it appeared that Advani was down and out but he engineered a break of 62 in the fourth frame to make it 2-2.
An excellent break of 47 in the fifth frame seemed to rejuvenate Advani and he quickly claimed the hard-fought frame 67-50. The next three frames was all about Advani as the seven-time world champion dominated from the start of each frames.
The ace Indian cueist got off to a perfect start in the sixth frame as he fashioned a break of 63, winning the frame 70-9. Advani won the seventh frame 69-16.
Bullen tried fighting his way back into the game but was unable to get the crucial colours and when Advani constructed a break of 43 in the eighth frame, it was all over for the Belgian cueist.
Iran`s Hossein Vafei Ayouri also stormed into the semifinals when he defeated Ireland`s Brendan O`Donoghue 6-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown