Advani pockets billiards title
Bangalore: Defending champion Pankaj Advani, with seven World titles to his credit, showed who the boss was as he beat Balachandra Bhaskar 1001-802 in the final of the 14th ECA Raman Nair handicap billiards tournament here on Friday.
With both players having displayed good form, the stage was set for a close battle. The 26-year old Advani opened the final with a run of 167 and followed it up with a 380 to counter Bhaskar`s breaks, 112 and 225, to take a comfortable if not winning lead.
Bhaskar, a five times winner here, fought back with a 206 that brought to fore his super touch, but he lost position to present Advani an opening. Advani replied with an unfinished 136 to close the match and pocket his third title.
Advani displayed flashes of brilliance and his mastery over the three-ball game was obvious during the break of 380 when he got into position to play the Postman`s Knock before a hasty shot cost him position that ended the break.
In the semi-finals on Thursday night, Advani edged past Dhruv Sitwala 1000-994 while Bhaskar outplayed a wayward Sethi 1000-398.
The results (semi-finals):
Advani (breaks - 67, 134, 126, 146, 228) bt Dhruv Sitwala (breaks 277, 154) 1000-994; Bhaskar (breaks 350, 138) beat Geet Sethi 1000-398.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'