Advani, Sethi continue great form in World Billiards C`ships
Leeds: Seven-time world champion Pankaj Advani, veteran Geet Sethi and Dhruv Sitwala continued their unbeaten run in the Time Format after outplaying their rivals in the World Billiards Championships on Sunday.
Advani whipped John Hartley of England 630-294, Sethi routed another Englishman Nalin Patel 522-268 and Sitwala virtually toyed with Australia`s Neil Bolton in a 572-156 win.
Another star Indian cueist in the fray, Sourav Kothari from Kolkata also began his campaign impressively by securing comfortable victories over Wayne Doyle, Phil Davis and Robin Wilson in Group I.
Manish Jain also returned to winning ways after losing his second game against Australia`s Matthew Bolton yesterday, thrashing countrymate Revanna Umadevi 379-184 in Group K.
In Group B, Balachandra Bhaskar defeated Rick Kendall of Canada 581-142 and then went on to win against England`s Matthew Sutton 408-260.
Alok Kumar too brought his campaign back on track after prevailing over David Causier of England 593-477 in a hard-fought battle in Group D.
Devendra Joshi, Rupesh Shah and Siddharth Parikh also won their respective matches in the Time Format.
The newly-formed World Billiards Limited has brought together the International Billiards and Snooker Federation (IBSF) and World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) events for a first-ever unified world Championship.
Till last year, there were two different bodies - IBSF and WPBSA - which were organising three different world championships.
For the first time, 18 Indian cueists are taking part in the world championship which has attracted 65 players from 15 nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says